From Those Who’ve Tried It
Testimonials on S.H.I.N.E.®
People Helped by S.H.I.N.E.®
People living with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia who’ve followed Dr. T’s S.H.I.N.E.® protocol share their personal stories of recovery.
- I just wanted to thank Dr. T so very much for his work with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I was officially diagnosed almost two years ago, but had been living with individual symptoms since I was a teenager. I am now 57. After my diagnosis I found Dr. T’s work and started easing into the S.H.I.N.E. protocol, one baby step at a time. I started feeling better almost immediately. But after I was up to speed with ribose, CoQ10, and Dr. T’s vitamin powder, I really started healing. Now I sleep well, am able to exercise, and my quality of life has improved drastically.
Last fall my sister was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She started on the S.H.I.N.E. protocol and is also doing so much better.
Dr. T’s work is a true gift to the world. I wish more people would believe me when I tell them what helped me have so much healing in such a short time. Thank you for giving me my life back!"
- The first day of my recovery started after finding Dr. T’s videos on YouTube. I was in a very dark place before finding his S.H.I.N.E. protocol. I’m now fully recovered. Dr. T turned my life around."
- I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the progress I’ve made! I have a long way to go, but am so very optimistic! When you can finally sleep, snuggle your kiddo and help him with homework, watch a movie at home with your hubby and eat foods other than those only made with rice, you start being able to enjoy life again. I have the best, most compassionate doc in the world in Jacob Teitelbaum and his brilliant assistant Cheryl Poffenberger Alberto! If only we could duplicate them, this world would be a much better place!"
- It is compassionate, dedicated, supportive people like Dr. T who give me hope and shore up the dignity this illness erodes. You may never fully understand how much it helps CFS patients just to know that we aren’t overlooked, forgotten and dismissed. And that someone highly qualified and brilliant enough to know how to look for the answers is actually spending their time looking for them!! Heroes not only run into burning buildings to save people, sometimes they painstakingly search for ways to restore others to health. God bless you, Dr. T, and your staff!"
- I’ve been a follower of Dr. T’s expert advice for over 10 years. I work full time in the medical field with a diagnosis of CFS/FM, and I can honestly say Dr. T has saved my life! I always tell people If you aren’t on Dr. T’s Program, you’re not on the program!
Thank you for your website, your books (which I read over and over), and for your true caring of patients all over the world, it is refreshing to know how many people you have helped over the years. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!"
- I’ve been to many health practitioners since 2001 when I began feeling poorly. My first primary doctor tested me for arthritis, lupus and thyroid imbalance, all of which came back negative. He then diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and prescribed Ambien and Trazadone for the insomnia and muscle and joint pain. Both drugs made me feel worse and I stopped taking them. He prescribed Tylenol PM, which helped, but made me feel tired in the morning. He then retired and I contacted my present doctor. This doctor decided my problem was simply depression and prescribed tranquilizers, all of which again made me feel sicker. When I told him I didn’t feel depressed about life in general, and enjoyed my work, hobbies and friends. That it was this illness that left me tired, mentally in a fog and in pain, not my emotional response. I felt he had not diagnosed me properly. He even referred me to a neurologist, who also didn’t help. But then I found Dr. T, whose website helped me more than anything ever had in the past! I found that most of my problems arose from food allergies, corn, wheat and dairy, hormone imbalance, and mold allergies. I wish I had found him sooner. I might not have had to quit working and close a successful business, and avoided all the unnecessary suffering and financial burden this illness put me through."
- The cause, as I eventually came to understand, it was a bike fall in 2003 that resulted in two bulging discs (L4 and L5) and triggered all the dormant herpes viruses in my spinal fluid, confusing my immune system. My body couldn’t distinguish “self” from “non-self” and began to attack my joints. Being an athlete, my large joints (hips/knees/shoulders) were often slightly inflamed from exercise and that pulled the focus of my immune system there. I was soon suffering from severe inflammation and proliferation of cartilage. It felt like the ends of my bones were made jagged and sharp and the pain was debilitating. The looseness in these joints caused great instability and weakness. I lost all my core strength. The inflammation spread and became systemic, causing heart palpitations and diarrhea. The pain and difficulty breathing made sleep nearly impossible and lack of rest exacerbated my condition. The anti-inflammatory meds (Cataflam and Bextra) had side effects that further complicated my condition. In the first year I lost 20 pounds – all of my muscle mass. When lab tests finally uncovered the elevated herpes viruses, I decided to approach the disease as a viral problem as well as an immune system failure. I used a combination of alternative and mainstream, western medicine. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum’s book From Fatigued to Fantastic and Balch’s Prescription for Nutritional Healing helped to guide me. I was one year declining, one year on the bottom, and one year pulling out. It took several years to regain my strength, but I did get well again!"
- I’ve suffered from chronic fatigue since I was a teenager. My mom took me to many doctors who prescribed thyroid, iron, and many different vitamins. But nothing really helped. I got through college with many naps, and more doctor visits. Then I began reading Dr. T’s books. I read them all and finally began to get better with his S.H.I.N.E. suggestions. Now I can’t get along without his vitamin powder and other supplements from his store that I buy constantly. I love you, Dr. T, and cannot thank you enough for all your very helpful insights."
- I first started the S.H.I.N.E. protocol a couple of years ago on my own, then at the Fibro and Fatigue Center in Denver / Las Vegas. We addressed all of the possible causes of fatigue, especially detoxification and hormones. At first, because of the detoxification protocol, I felt worse but over time with persistence the cycle of my symptoms kept getting shorter and shorter. My sleep patterns improved and when I couldn’t sleep, I used the supplements or medications suggested on the protocol. My anxiety levels have also drastically improved. Good quality sleep seems to be the key. I know the S.H.I.N.E. protocol works because when I stop doing it and the stress of life catches up to me, I start feeling bad again (although not as bad as a few years ago)."
- I’ve had fibromyalgia (FMS) for almost 10 years. I’ve also developed irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and migraines for the past 2-3 years. When I was first diagnosed with FMS, I was in shock! It seemed to me like I had run a marathon, and my whole body was sore and achy. Nothing I did relieved the pain: eating, exercising, or sleeping. I woke up feeling like a Mac truck had hit me going 80 mph. The fatigue was almost unbearable. I went to my doctor several times, and besides pain medication (which only takes away, at best, 1/2 the pain), they had no other answers for me. I decided to research my illnesses on the Internet. After many weeks, I came across Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum’s website, and I felt so relieved. I was relieved because someone finally “got it.” This was a doctor who had actually had fibromyalgia and CFS. I read as much as I could and purchased his book From Fatigued to Fantastic. In both his website and book, he spoke of the S.H.I.N.E. protocol, which I was able to participate in by using the free online questionnaire [now called the Energy Analysis Program], which gave me specific natural medicines, tests and other protocols, to help me cope with the symptoms. The first thing I tried was D-Ribose, a powder that tastes like sugar, which I used 3 times a day, 5 grams mixed in with water or juice. Right away, I felt less pain, just with this one supplement! I also began to walk every day for at least 30 minutes, and even though I was sore the next day, I kept walking. Soon, the soreness in my legs became so much more bearable, and I knew I was on the right track. I have used a lot of the S.H.I.N.E. protocol recommendations, including getting a lot of sleep, eating more fiber, drinking more water, using Dr. Teitelbaum’s pain formula, “End Pain,” plus other vitamins, supplements and modalities. The other thing that helped me was my HMO’s Chronic Pain Management Program, which I completed in 2010. I was taught how to meditate, stretch, listen to relaxation CDs, cognitive behavior therapy, acupuncture, yoga poses, repeated gentle exercises, and prescription medication. To this day, I incorporate these principles and therapies, and along with S.H.I.N.E., I can say I am a much happier, relaxed, grateful person who just happens to have these illnesses. I rarely complain and am so encouraged and thankful for Dr. Teitelbaum and his research!"
- I would like to share my personal journey towards health and my experience with the S.H.I.N.E. protocol. I’m a board certified neurologist with special qualifications in child neurology. I’m also fellowship trained in epilepsy and sleep medicine. In 2007 I embarked on my sleep medicine fellowship in Texas. This was a very hard training program that demanded a lot of mental and physical stamina. It was during my work at the VAMC that I had my first exposure to chronic fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome as I worked with Gulf war Vets. After 3 months of a grueling schedule at the VAMC, I began to develop severe fatigue and eventually bilateral optic neuritis. My biggest fear was that I had developed multiple sclerosis. I remember vividly as I was sitting in the exam chair for the neuro-opthamologist, dreading the diagnosis of MS. The doctor came in and with a hard stoic expression asked if I’d ever worked around any military? I was surprised at this question and replied that I had and explained my circumstances. He then went on to explain that he thought I had Gulf War Illness, and he had seen many cases such as mine, as I had an extremely abnormally high titer for mycoplasma pneumonia. My struggle back to health was over the next six years, from 2007 to 2012. I underwent multiple courses of antibiotics for up to 6 weeks at a time and finally in 2012 had to undergo IV infusion twice a week for 6 months with azithromycin (based on a positive PCR for mycoplasma pneumonia). I developed obstructive sleep apnea during this illness. The importance of hormonal balance cannot be overlooked, as I had to struggle with hypothyroidism that developed during this illness. Immunity was critical; I had an infection and had to keep my immune system under repair. Not enough can be said about nutrition — we are what we eat. And lastly exercise; I knew this was so critical and fortunately my cardiologist got me into a cardiac rehab program. Little did I know that these principles were the S.H.I.N.E. protocol! When I learned about Dr. Teitlebaum’s work I knew this doctor understood what was happening. I had been following the S.H.I.N.E. protocol and this is what has now led me back to health. All my patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia undergo a comprehensive holistic workup with this protocol. I hope more doctors will approach these medical illnesses from this prospective as it can lead to health and healing as it did for me. I am now back to work full time, exercise regularly, and have learned to pace myself and listen to my body."
- I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and myofascial pain disorder after a work injury 3/93. Over the years, I have tried just about every reputable remedy out there including PT, massage, chiropractic adjustments, diet, medications, exercise, injections, pacing myself, and natural supplements. Nothing worked for more than a brief period of time. My mother, sister, and aunts all suffer some form of FMS, CFS, and/or chronic pain. My father also suffered from chronic pain and an undiagnosed immunologic/autoimmune disorder that ultimately took his life. Prior to his death, I had been seeking answers for him and for me. Then his death occurred unexpectedly and made me more determined to find answers. I set out doing research. I knew about your protocol, which I had started working on implementing and I started reading it again. I started pushing my doctors for answers and my urologist was the doctor who took me more seriously than anyone else. He did some tests and determined my problems might be coming from my GI tract and he sent me to my GI specialist. My GI doctor did an endoscopy and discovered a high amount of yeast overgrowth in my digestive tract. By that time, I had already made some changes and started your protocol on my own. I had improved my sleep by pushing my pain doctor to allow me more medications (Ambien, Flexeril, Xanax) so that I could sleep better. I get 8-9 hours a night. I am taking magnesium, turmeric, PABA, GABA, B complex, D3 and CoQ10. I also found that Super Citramax seemed to help as well. I tried alpha lipoic acid, but could not tolerate it at the time, though that may have been due to the state of my GI system. I plan to try it again. My doctors did not believe the yeast was systemic, but based on my symptoms, I am sure it was. I had chronic fungal infections, skin infections, fatigue, and GI disturbances all which seemed to me to be the result of the yeast overgrowth. My doctor treated it with 2 weeks of fluconazole, but it did not seem to resolve my symptoms, so I continued treatment with oil of oregano tablets. I am now more energetic than I have been in years, I have motivation to do things I enjoy and things that need to be done, I am spending more time tutoring my son, I am getting my life organized again, and my GI system is better than it’s been a long time. The skin problems and fungal infections are gone. And I am no longer catching every infection that comes along. The sole reason I followed the path I did and pushed my doctors to search for something other than assuming my problems were simply an extension of FMS, CFS, and MPS, was due to reading your website and doing the research to determine that what you were proposing made more sense than anything else we had tried. I plan to continue on this course, by continuing to improve my diet, pushing for better pain control (which continues to be my biggest issue), and to add appropriate treatments. I have an appointment coming up with my family doctor for a checkup and to review my hormonal balance. I am deeply grateful for your website and your S.H.I.N.E. protocol. It has greatly improved the quality of my life!"
- In 2008 I came down with what I know today as Chronic Fatigued Syndrome. I saw specialists in many fields including specialists in heart, endocrinology, neurology, pulmonary, otolaryngology and digestive and liver disease. They ran many tests that were inconclusive. The neurologist put me on Cymbalta for depression. I was also given large dosages of Neurontin for the nerve pain, blood pressure medication, beta blockers, and many others. When I talked with my doctor about CFS she said she would not go there until everything else had been ruled out. In August of 2012 I was in bed most of the time. That’s when I found Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum’s book From Fatigued to Fantastic and started on his S.H.I.N.E. protocol. I feel better than I’ve felt in years! I’ve gone from spending most of my time in bed to doing the things I love again. I have more energy and no more pain. My memory has improved and I am off all medications (with the exception of formulated hormones and armor thyroid).
Thank you for all the work you have doing. It has given me my life back!"
- In 2009 I started feeling like I had the flu all the time. I was sleeping nonstop, had migraines, and no energy at all. A friend of mine told me about Dr. T’s book, From Fatigued to Fantastic. After taking the tests he had in the book I knew (after countless misdiagnosis) I had fibromyalgia. Now that I’m following Dr. T’s S.H.I.N.E. protocol, I can say my fibromyalgia has been in remission for two years. I now teach yoga and aerobics and lead a very good life. I owe all good health to this man."
- My story goes back to 10 years ago when I moved from MI to TN and became very ill. I had many different physical problems and saw many doctors. As I had always been healthy, I didn’t understand why I was suddenly falling apart and was so fatigued. A friend told me about Dr. T’s book From Fatigued To Fantastic. I read it and did some research online. I then contacted Dr. T’s office and made an appointment. He put me on his S.H.I.N.E. protocol, which I follow to this day. Due to his treatment, I am healthy and very active. I hike, ballroom dance and participate in Zomba classes, yoga classes, and many other activities.
I have a dear friend who almost died of liver failure about 2 yrs. ago. Per my advice, he read Dr. T’s book and followed his protocol. He is now back to good health. We both owe the good health we now enjoy to the S.H.I.N.E. protocol."
- I have been following your principles and using the S.H.I.N.E. Protocol, for over fifteen years. This principle has helped me obtain a better quality of life. Let me go back and give you some history about how I got started reading your books and finding help through the S.H.I.N.E. principle. In 1994 I was working as a Transplant Nurse, Post transplant. It was a job I loved with all my heart. Sadly, I contracted an active form of CMV with very high titers of acute infection, much like a transplant patient would have. I was treated with IV medications, such as Gancyclovir, IVIG, even interferon for a few years. In the initial stages of my illness, because I had blood work to back up my complaints, I was treated as having a real illness. It was in the years to follow that I had a hard time finding anyone to help with my large array of complaints. These ranged from depression, fatigue, joint pain, post -exertional malaise, nausea, and on and on. Eventually, I was unable to work at all, was bedridden, and felt like I was a bit crazy! I found one of your books in a health food store, From Fatigued to Fantastic, and it became my handbook for life! (I actually went to one of your seminars at Clark’s Health food store in Loma Linda, CA many years ago, to hear you speak.) I followed your suggestions and found that my quality of life got better! I was very weary of most doctors’ because of their overall skepticism. Luckily, I was able to find a few physicians that would work with me and your suggestions. Eventually, I was even able to get pregnant and have a healthy baby, which I thought would be impossible. Fast forward to the present, I am able to work 2 days a week as a nurse (very busy surgery outpatient clinic). I do all the yard work and house work, (my husband does help too) drop off and pick my 13 year old son, and have a fairly good social life. I still follow your principles, and just bought your newer book The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution. I take most of the supplements you have suggested, and try and follow the S.H.I.N.E. protocol. I still have to tweak certain things/lifestyle when I have flair ups, but mostly I know when to say no to activities that will drain me (thanks to your books). Basically, I try to live my life as best as I can, and try not to compare my energy levels to others. I have not gotten back to pre-illness energy and lifestyle, but that is fine. I am glad I am able to do what I can do today. Compared to where I was, today is great!
I am so happy to have this chance to write you a letter, and to thank you. I do try and help others who are suffering with similar problems, and hand out your books! Nurses are the hardest ones to reach so far! (That topic is for another day.) Anyway, thank you for your books, your insight, and your honesty about your illness many years ago."
- Dr. T has saved 3 lives in my family: Me, my brother and my mother. S.H.I.N.E. gave me the hope and care just when I had lost complete hope that I would be able to mother my three young children ages 4, 6 and 8. I started slowly deteriorating with what looked like intestinal issues at the age of 30. I had a few random issues with sinusitis, bladder infections, even a PET scan with a tumor scare. Then my neurological symptoms kicked in. Many thought it was depression. The oncologist I was referred to said stress was getting to me. My internist worked tirelessly with me but it came to the point where I couldn’t get out of bed. He suggested I check myself into the ER at Mayo Scottsdale. After a 3-day stay and a full battery of tests, they told me “The good news is you aren’t dying. Go back and try working with your internist.” The doctor told my husband I was in a major fight or flight response. My mother was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 20 years ago when it was considered the “yuppie disease.” At that time and afterwards, we all thought it was depression, until I started having the same symptoms. We were both convinced that we were suffering from the same thing. When she came to Phoenix to help with my kids as I was bedridden, she picked up Dr. T’s book, From Fatigued to Fantastic. She started his protocol and helped me to begin it as well. We both miraculously began feeling better. Eight years later I completed a 20 mile road-bike luncheon. I’m now able to enjoy a 3-mile hike and ski or bike every week with no ill effects. He has given me my life back. My brother suffered a very traumatic event over a year ago. He began having similar symptoms. We sent Dr. T’s supplements and book to him in Brussels and he is now raising his 5 year old daughter alone and is feeling better than ever. Dr. T has saved 3 lives and we are spreading the word! Thank you!"
- I was considered a hopeless case by my doctors. It was either constant pain or extreme fatigue. If I wasn’t sleeping, I was in pain and depressed. My psychiatrist said I was as good as I could get and was lucky I wasn’t in a nursing home. Well that’s exactly where I wound up for 3 months. I was on 30 pills a day for bipolarism, fibromyalgia, a seizure disorder and a host of other things. Then I started reading the book From Fatigued to Fantastic and it changed my life completely. I started the recommended supplements and tried to follow the S.H.I.N.E. protocol. I got out of the nursing home and continued to follow the program, using food and supplements instead of prescriptions to cure me as more and more things were going wrong because of the side effects of the pills. I am now taking only 7 pills a day with just 2 prescription pills and I feel FANTASTIC many days. Thanks go out to a holistic doctor and to Dr. Teitelbaum!"
- My husband has FMS and RA. His health is probably the worst you’ve ever seen. Doctors have been prescribing pain killers and were not giving him any advice on how to live with this awful disease. Finally one doctor recommended From Fatigued to Fantastic. Hallelujah! He is no longer on pain killers as this has helped tremendously and he has been taking the Energy Revitalization System vitamin powder for over 8 years now. He can tell a difference if he has misses even a single day. He could never live without it. We recommend it to everyone. Thank you for developing this for FMS sufferers. We are forever grateful."
- I went through 18 months and every test one could have only to be told I can’t consider chronic fatigue syndrome until everything else has been ruled out. I found Dr. T’s book in February of this year and started on the S.H.I.N.E. program. After 8 months of being on it I feel better then I’ve felt in years. I’ve gone from spending most of my time in bed to doing the things I love. More energy, no more pain, better memory."